Symmes Inn Museum
Photo: Richard M. Bégin
- Late May to Labour Day: Tuesday - Sunday, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Labour Day to Thanksgiving: Saturday - Sunday, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- By appointment the rest of the year
Free, but donations are most welcome.
To discover, see and do...
The Symmes Inn Museum, located on the shores of Deschênes Lake and the Outaouais (Ottawa) River, is a regional history museum. It sits at the end of rue Principale, the best-preserved heritage neighbourhood of Gatineau. The permanent exhibition explains the importance of the River and its tributaries in the development of the region and the country as a whole, from Native times to the present, examining the roles of great explorers, early settlers and lumber barons. A temporary exhibition presents the Religious Heritage in the Outaouais.
- National historic site (Canada)
- Historic monument (Quebec)
- Historic site (Quebec)
Activities or attractions nearby
- Deschênes Lake and its Marina
- Cedar Park
- The best cycling path in the Outaouais Region
- L'Imagier art exhibition centre and L'Imaginaire Park
- Heritage neighbourhood (Principale/Main St.)
- Old Aylmer cultural centre
- Aylmer Heritage Road
- Several golf courses
Exhibitions: French, English
Guided tours: French, English
- Picnic area
- Hours adapted to groups
- Room (space) rental
- Parking (buses)
Self-guided tours: 50 people
Guided tours: 25 people
Number of exhibitions: 2
Number of sites to visit: 1